The first step before buying equipment or embarking on any training courses is to consult your local council (or if in Wales or Northern Ireland) the regulatory body who registers laser or IPL use in your geographical region. They will be able to explain the exact training requirements you will need to satisfy in order to comply with any local bye-laws or regional regulations. We cannot stress enough the need to please check with your own local authority, insurance and / or regional regulatory body for the exact requirement in your area of any training requirements.
'Always contact the regulatory body for your geographical region/area to check on the exact compliance requirements for laser use in your locality'
In addition to the usual rules and regulations that businesses have to comply with such as Health & Safety and any planning consent etc., the business must have sufficient indemnity insurance to cover the treatments that will be carried out and there are specific requirements that must be complied with to allow laser use:-
- Each laser operator must be able to show certificated evidence that they have received training on the specific tattoo removal laser system that will be used on your clients. This training is usually provided by the manufacturer or supplier of your machine and this training must cover the treatments that will be carried out.
- Each operator must show evidence of completion of an aesthetic laser and IPL safety and compliance course known as the "Core of Knowledge". Some local authorities may also require an individual who does not have a background in beauty or skin treatments to complete a suitable access course. Intermed have a specific Level 3 Access course that is ideal for this purpose but please check with your own local authority, insurance and / or regional regulatory body for the exact requirement in your area of any training requirements.
- Each operator may (or may not) need to complete a Level 5 Laser Tattoo Removal course. We have our own Level 5 endorsed course but please check with your own local authority, insurance and / or regional regulatory body for the exact requirement in your area of any training requirements that may (or may not) apply.
- To hire the services of a certified Laser Protection Advisor (LPA) who will survey your premises in order to carry out a risk assessment and to write a set of safety rules known as "Local Rules".
- To hire the services of an "Expert Registered Healthcare Professional (ERHP)" who has at least 5 years experience with lasers/IPL systems, to write or sign off a set of "Safe Treatment Protocols" that the laser/IPL user must always adhere to. The 'ERHP' must also be available to provide any clinical advice.
It is essential that the laser equipment that you will use (including the accessories such as safety eyewear) must be compliant with new UK legislation.
It is important to note that all laser equipment sold for human treatments in the U.K. must have either a Medical CE Mark or the new UKCA Mark.
Also manufacturers and suppliers of laser devices wishing to sell their equipment within the UK, have to register these medical devices with the Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). It is strongly recommended that before you commit to buying your laser system that you obtain expert professional advice on whether the certification is compliant.
'It is strongly recommended that you obtain expert professional advice on whether the laser equipment you intend buying complies with UK legislation'
We offer a suite of 16 quality assured endorsed training programmes, that have been designed and developed by our team of subject specialists, to give you theoretical information only. Should you wish to progress onto an Ofqual regulated qualification, this is indeed possible via our parent company, Skin Group International Ltd (SGI), whereby your learning on the Endorsed Certification Programme would count towards some of your learning on their SGI Ofqual regulated qualifications via their recognition of prior learning (RPL) verification scheme.
PLEASE NOTE: INTERMED CLINICAL COURSES ARE NOT OFQUAL REGULATED QUALIFICATIONS
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CERTIFICATION:
* YOU WILL RECEIVE A DIGITAL CERTIFICATE WHICH WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU *
** WE DO NOT POST OUT PAPER COPIES. PLEASE ALLOW TIME FOR PROCESSING **